Sunday 19 August 2012

Keswick Wedding - Pam and Kevin (Skiddaw Hotel)

It's a question I often get asked "Do you cover weddings outside the North East?" The answer is YES!!!!  I've photographed weddings all over the UK as far south as Kent.....don't think you can get much further south.  So when Pam rang me to ask if I'd be willing to capture her small, intimate wedding in Keswick I jumped at it.  Wedding photography in the Lake District?  By Derwent Water?? With Castlerigg Stone Circle just up the road???  It was a no brainer!!!

It was stunning drive over the Pennines and into the Lake District on the day of the wedding. Rain as usual while driving down the A69......this didn't bode well.  But Gradually, as I made my way into The Lake District the rain stopped and every so often the sun peaked out.  It was stunning!  No other word for it!  The wedding would be in the Skiddaw Hotel, a lovely hotel nestled in the market place in Keswick.  I got there nice and early so treated myself to a burger and half a pint of the local real ale.  It was one of the best burgers I've had...homemade with the most amazing relish.........

.....anyway, back to the wedding!!!

Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography


Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography


Pam was in her room getting ready with her daughter who would be giving her away.  Both were nervous but joked with each other as they waited for the registrar to arrive.  Meanwhile, downstairs, Kevin sat with the 6 guests chatting and generally causing mischief.  No sign of nerves here!!!

That couldn't be said for me.  I was in the lounge where the ceremony would take place, checking the light and where to get the best vantage point for the ceremony when in walked the registrar.  Possibly the most formidable woman I have ever met in my 9 years as a wedding photographer!  "You will stand there! And please read this!!!" she said thrusting a piece of paper into my hand.....a photography policy! Well this was new to me!  I could photograph Pam walking in, the ring exchange and first kiss followed by mock register signing.  Other than that, no other shots during the short ceremony.  "It's policy in Cumbria as we have had photographers abuse their position at weddings."   Ouch!!!!

Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography



Kevin waited with his daughter in the lounge and was now starting to look a little nervous.  I could see Pam waiting on the stairs for the nod but when the time came she came in beaming and Kevin's face lit up!!!  It was a bit much for Pam's daughter who spent most of the ceremony dabbing her eyes!

Despite her stern words to me before the ceremony, the registrar actually led a lovely, light hearted ceremony, joking with Kevin and telling him off for getting his words wrong.

Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography

Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography


Skiddaw Hotel Wedding Photography





After the ceremony, we did photos by Derwent Water and at Castlerigg Stone Circle.  The clouds were looking really imposing and I was a little worried about rain but you know, I actually think the skyline looked spectacular with the looming clouds.

Keswick Wedding Photography

Keswick Wedding Photography


One of my main concerns about the stones was whether it would be busy with tourists and if it was would we be given the space for the photos.  But its amazing what happens when a bride arrives on the scene.  Everyone (and there was a lot of people there) just wandered off and waited while we got the shots done.  

Keswick Wedding Photography


Keswick Wedding Photography


Finishing off the pictures at the stones, we decided to grab an ice cream from the bored ice cream van driver.  Seemed to make his day to feature in the wedding pictures.




This was such a wonderfully small and intimate wedding in a jaw dropping setting.  I can't wait to do another wedding there!  


No comments:

Post a Comment