Monday 11 June 2012

Washington Old Hall Wedding - Zara and Jonny's Fun and Funky Wedding

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....I have the best job in the World.   Fact!  Why?  Because it's so varied.  Every wedding is different AND you get to be an intimate part of a couples most special day.  Not many people get that opportunity.  And I get to capture it all.....freezing moments in time.


With Zara and Jonny, I decided that all weddings are different.....just some weddings are more different than others!  18 months ahead of their big day, Zara and Jonny contacted me with a view to capturing their magical day......those 18months were hilarious!  Quite simply!  I've spoken to the other suppliers who worked with Zara who all agreed!  Zara made it clear from day 1 that she did not want a traditional wedding.  She told me to throw the rule books out the window.  As time went on I would get texts and emails from her "I've gone an booked a VW Camper for the bridesmaids", "I've got a Morris Minor Police Car for the flowergirls and pageboys".  And then came the big one......"We'd like to do our pre-wedding photoshoot in a cemetery!"  The images from that are here.  So you kind of get the feel for what I was playing with here.  :o)


The day itself was a treat.  Cloudless skies, 20+ degrees and hardly a breath of wind.  At Zara's mums, there was the usual frantic preparations going on.  It was also the first time I'd seen her nervous and getting a bit flustered.  The pageboys were ready in their suits and Converse trainers and looked ultra cool.  Outside I heard the clip clop of hooves as the horses and carriage that would be taking Zara to Washington Old Hall arrived.  That really set the nerves jangling.  


washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding
Flowers by Stem Ginger
washington old hall wedding




Over at The Hall everything was ready and thankfully it was icy cool in the room where the ceremony would take place.  Jonny arrived with best man and usher in tow.  He seemed to be taking everything in his stride.  


washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding




washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding


Now, I knew this was going to be a fun day....but I also knew there would be a lot of emotion.  One thing I do with every couple is try to get to know them.  I've got to know these guys really well over the past 18 months and got to know their story.  I know every couple getting married love each other but Zara and Jonny were head over heels like I've never seen before.  Little messages posted on each others walls on Facebook etc.  But what I wasn't prepared for was just how electric the room would be once Zara arrived.  The bridesmaids were all in tears!  As the ceremony went on more and more people were reaching for hankies.  And then Zara and Jonny's personal readings to each other were read out.  Gone!!!!  Everyone in the room, me, the registrars....everyone in tears!


washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding




After the ceremony we had a bit of fun in the garden.  Now, remember what I said about throwing the rule book out the window??  There was no formality in what we did.  Zara was just Zara.  Her personality was oozing!  And again, it was hilarious!  The colours in the gardens though were stunning.  Bright greens and purples everywhere.  And it complimented Zara's dress, designed and made by House of Mooshki, perfectly.


washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding

washington old hall wedding









The reception....sorry, tea party was at The Stella in Washington.  It had be turned into a quaint village hall for the day!  Tea cups, scones, finger buns, sandwiches and sweets everywhere.  









And then the first dance......Paul Weller's "You Do Something To Me" sung by Zara and Jonny's friend on acoustic guitar.  Simple but stunning.  









People ask me why I love my job so much.....it's the people I work with that make it brilliant.  Without folks like Zara and Jonny, and everyone else I've photographed over the past 9 years, my job and life would be very dull!


Thank you Zara and Jonny for planning such a wild, fun, funky and individual day!!!!  It's been an absolute pleasure working with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment