Wednesday 27 June 2012

Newcastle Wedding - Lyndsey and Nick's Funky Urban Wedding

Newcastle Wedding Photography

I've alway said I don't want to be typecast as delivering only one style of wedding photography.  I like mixing it up between classical and contemporary, vintage (sorry!) and funky.  But it is the latter which I seem to be getting a very good reputation for.  Fun and Funky as some people have called it.  Over the past few months I've raised some eyebrows with a slightly different slant on the norm and in some cases chucked the rule book so far out the window it can't be seen.

But at the end of the day what is important is that a) I'm having fun doing what I'm doing and b) I deliver what the customer wants and they love what I do for them.

So when Lyndsey and Nick said they wanted something a little bit different, something a bit funky I got my thinking hat on.  Their pre wedding photoshoot was done in the rusty old victorian swimming pool at Tynemouth.  They wanted something vivid, when they said they wanted something similar for their wedding I happened to mention a wall of graffiti I knew.  They were hooked.  I mentioned my plans to a couple of folks and to say eyebrows were raised.....

Anyway, both Lyndsey and Nick said they wanted to have fun and thats certainly what they had on their big day!  We were worried about the potential for rain...the weather forecast was not good, however the day before that changed to no rain, just the potential for strong winds!  To be honest, when the day arrived it wasn't too bad.  Near perfect for a photographer.

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Lyndsey and the bridesmaids were getting ready at Lyndsey's mums house, where everyone were commenting that Lyndsey was just far too relaxed for someone about to get married.  She did seem as cool as a cucumber! 

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography


At the church, a nervous Nick, and an even more nervous best man were sorting out orders of service.  As Lyndsey arrived the tension seemed to increase massively.  As she walked down the aisle the emotion of the day hit Nick as he looked up the aisle at his bride walking towards him.  Her dress looked stunning as she walked down the aisle, the sun picking out the floral detail of her dress.


Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography




The ceremony itself was quite a lighthearted event.  Plenty of laughs, a few tears and a bit of a mix up with counting fingers when exchanging rings.  I have also never seen words to hymns being beamed up onto the front of a church before either.  I couldn't understand why nobody had hymn books and were all staring up when singing the first Hymn, Amazing Grace, until I turned to see the words, beamed huge on the wall above the alter.  Who says religion doesn't move with the times?!


Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography



Newcastle Wedding Photography


After the service and the gathering of families in the church garden, Lyndsey, Nick and myself headed off to Gateshead for a bit of fun with the camera.  When we reached the graffiti they gasped.  Nick kept saying "I love it!", like a kid opening his best present ever on Christmas morning!  The graffiti was a complete polar opposite to Lyndsey's dress but it worked.  I picked one particular mural which had plenty of colour.  Lyndsey fell in love with a piece of graffiti of an old grammerphone, so we did a few shots there.  The main problem was the wind.  It was whipping down the Tyne.  I could have stayed in Gateshead a lot longer but I didn't want to run the risk of ruining dresses and hair styles in the wind.


Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography

Newcastle Wedding Photography


The reception was held at the new Holiday Inn in Jesmond, formally the Imperial Swallow.  Following a glass of champagne and the meal, everyone sat back to listen to the speeches.  One story involving a game of Articulate sticks out.........but I'll save the blushes of the individual involved.  I'm never going to look at Winston Churchill in the same way!


Holiday Inn Newcastle Jesmond Wedding

Holiday Inn Newcastle Jesmond Wedding

Holiday Inn Newcastle Jesmond Wedding













Nick and Lyndsey - have a fantastic time in Las Vegas!  It was a pleasure capturing your day, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity of using one of my favourite locations on Tyneside as a backdrop to your photos.  




Wedding Service - St Anthony of Padua's, Newcastle upon Tyne
Reception - Holiday Inn Newcastle Jesmond
Dress - Ronald Joyce from Brides Dream, Newcastle upon Tyne
Flowers - The Garden Shop, Whitley Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment